I never felt so rested on a Sunday night! We just got back from our anniversary trip to Highlands, NC this afternoon. It was the perfect way to celebrate 8 years (whew, EIGHT years!) together and just what we both needed...a simple, relaxing weekend...fresh mountain air, delicious food, wine and rare, quiet alone time together.
This was also the very first time we left little dog for more than one night. He spends the night with his grandparents pretty regularly but it has always been one night at a time. He stayed with Michael's parents the first night and mine the second night, completely spoiled and enjoying every single minute of nonstop grandparent-attention. I would say he had as good of a time as we did for sure.
We stayed at a beautiful B&B in the Highlands that Michael found a review for years and years ago. He kept their webpage bookmarked for six years in hopes that one day we would give it a try. Having never stayed at a B&B before, I wasn't sure what to expect...the thought of sharing meals with strangers trying to be new best friends didn't excite me. I hoped that wasn't what we were in for. Luckily, it wasn't. We drove up to the Inn at Half Mile Farm and discovered a secret spot of luxury and hospitality! The grounds literally looked like something from a postcard.
We woke each morning to enjoy coffee overlooking a small lake and the most beautiful breakfasts I've ever tasted. We found several nearby hikes that lead to huge, gorgeous waterfalls, and explored a few quiet, little towns around the Highlands. One afternoon Michael paddled me around the lake in a canoe while he fished and I read a good, celebrity-sleeze magazine. It was bliss! In the evenings, the Inn hosted us with an hor d'oeuvre and wine hour...they even broke out a bottle of sparkling juice for me, the poor preggo lady...
When it was time to hit the road today, we couldn't get down the highway fast enough...the weekend was perfect but we missed our little man so much. The tears started flowin' when I picked him back into my arms...oh, I just love hormones! As much as I missed him, I knew our weekend couldn't be better spent than just as husband and wife this time. It was such a special treat. Thank you Grammy, Grandad, Grama and Grandpa for allowing it to happen!
Happy Anniversary, Michael!
2 comments:
Sounds like an amazing weekend! Glad you two got some alone time and relaxation.
congrats! Looks awesome. We may have to give it a shot sometime.
glad you guys had a great one!
Post a Comment