Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What's-in-the-Crock-Pot-Tuesday

Texas Stew
(from Southern Living Quick & Easy Weeknight Favorites)

I've failed in my mission to post a "crotch pot" meal each Tuesday. Picking back up again...

If I were a REAL domestic deeva then (1) I would not have tested this recipe on an August day when it was 90 degrees outside, and (2) it would probably not consist of canned and frozen foods. For what it is worth...it was really good. Hang onto it until this fall and enjoy!

2 pounds of beef tips cut into 1 inch pieces (I used 3 chicken breasts)
1 can Mexican style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 can condensed beef broth (I used chicken broth)
1 (8 oz) jar of picante sauce
1 (10 oz) package frozen whole kernel corn
3 carrots cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup all purpose flour

  • Combine first 10 ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or until meat is tender.
  • Combine water and flour, stirring until smooth, stir into meat mixture in slow cooker. Cook stew, uncovered, on high for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is my most favorite cookbook!!

Jen