Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What's-in-the-Crock-Pot-Tuesday

I've had my crotch, er...crock, pot for almost seven years now. Funny story here...my mother-in-law told me that Michael's great grandmother could never get the name right. She always called it a crotch pot and no one ever had the heart to correct her. So, I can't ever cook in it without thinking "crotch pot".

Anyway, I digress...I've never taken the time to use it to its full potential until recently. It really is one of the best cooking appliances I own. As long as you have a few minutes to throw a bunch of stuff in it around lunchtime or so, you've got a warm, cozy meal when dinner time rolls around. Not to mention you've already cleaned up your mess from preparing it earlier in the day. Plus, most of the meals are really healthy.

I've promised my friend, Renee, that I would share some of my favorite crotch pot recipes. I figure there are some other folks out there that may be interested as well. Here's what's in it today...

Provencale Chicken Supper
(from the Southern Living Slow Cooker Cookbook)

3 boneless chicken breasts (or 4 bone-in chicken breasts)
2 teaspoons dried basil
salt
pepper
1 diced yellow bell pepper
1 can navy (or northern) beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained

  • Place chicken in crock pot, sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper
  • Combine remaining salt and pepper, bell pepper, beans and tomatoes in a bowl, stir well.
  • Spoon over chicken.
  • Cover with lid and let it cook on low for 5 or 6 hours.
ENJOY!

7 comments:

Clh03uga said...

LOVE crock pot recipes! Thanks for this one!!! I love even just putting some chicken or pork chops in with either BBQ sauce or Italian dressing and letting it cook. Both turn out so yummy!

Naomi said...

Haha, "crotch pot" is so classic! My great-grandmother had some pretty great malaprops too. My favorite is that she called afghan blankets "Africans." As in, "Honey, just curl up in that bed with my African." :)

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

i love my crotch pot too! i actually made mm a beef roast-sweet potato-carrot puree in my crock pot yesterday!

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

oh, i met naomi's dad at the farmers market on saturday. he was getting some meat! small world!

donlansdownunder said...

Couldn't agree with you more. I love my crock pot. Looking forward to seeing you guys on Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Growing up visiting our great-grandmother, "crotch-pot" became a way of life. Then I met Curt's grandmother and low and behold, she called it a "crotch-pot" too!! Just to carry on the tradition, I call it that around the house, but I have to be really careful in public!!

Another story, when Paw-Paw was in the hospital, we'd had to put in a catheter. When his minister came to see him, he told him he'd been castrated!! :)

Jen

Anonymous said...

i have two crockpots, one for the house and one for the camper, it is great to make up while camping, leave for hikes,swimming or whatever, happy hour then a wa-la! dinner is ready, there is also a cookbook by sandra lee of 5 items or less recipes which is great for limited resources (cant carry the whole kitchen in camper) -p.k.