Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Day in the Life


When I first decided to stay home I wondered how I would adjust to my new routine...or lack thereof. I've always been a fairly regimened person. Up out of bed, off to work, hit the gym, lunch with friends, work some more, usually something going on at night, make an easy dinner with Mike, sleep and then start over again. I had no idea how simple it was.

My new life has changed things a good bit. If there is one thing I have learned...there is no such thing as planned consistency. I am lucky if Marshall gets in his three small naps a day and isn't totally exhausted by the time Michael makes it home in the evening. For kicks, here is a snapshot of what my new routine often looks like:

5:00 AM - hear something rustling around on the baby monitor, ignore it for 5 or 10 minutes. A few grunts and baby roars. Mike heads downstairs to warm a bottle...I stumble down the hall to change a diaper and have a quiet chat with Little Dog (who wants to have an all-out conversation).

5:30 AM - I'm weak...I usually come back to our room with M and attempt to snuggle up until he hopefully falls back asleep for another hour or so.

6:30 AM - Boss man says it is time to get up. We hang out as Dad gets ready for work. Marshall loves to watch him shave. After that - I make bottles for the day and Marshall gets some energy out either rolling around on the floor or jumping in his activity contraption. Send Dad off to work.

8:30 AM - Time for morning nap...please! I need my breakfast and would love to brush my teeth. Once he is down...I run around to do a few small tasks...then upstairs to check my email and catch up on blog reading.

9:15 AM - What? Only 45 minutes of napping? Shucks. Go rescue M from his crib...he is having a conversation with the animals hanging from his mobile. Happy as clam, of course!

9:30 AM - 11:30 AM - Attempt to get M to sit in his high chair so we can practice eating like a big boy. Play in the large mirror I pulled out upstairs that used to be part of our bedroom set. That usually lasts a good 30 minutes. Play some more...blow bubbles, read books, practice sitting up, call Grandma and Dad and let Marshall talk to them both.

11:30 AM - Nap time! Hallelujah! I need a shower! On your mark, get set, go! Grab something for lunch (usually some weird combination of leftovers, a fruit, and a pop tart).

12:30 PM - Break time is over...M is back up and ready to eat. We play some more and do a few house chores together. He likes to ride in the Bjorn while I dust and vacuum. Sometimes we fold clothes together.

2:00 PM- Nap #3 if I am ever so lucky. This is my opportunity to figure out what the heck we are going to have for dinner. I finish whatever half-finished chore I got done with Marshall and evaluate the afternoon.

2:45 PM - Go time again! I load M in the car and we usually head out...we both need to get out of the house. Where shall we go today buddy? Pool? Target? Wal-Mart? Babies R Us? If we are lucky we have a playdate to attend or someone coming over to play with us.

5:00 PM - Mike is on his way home. Yay! Marshall is about tired of his mom at that point. Dad's home!

5:30 PM - M gets his second wind...Dad gets him all riled up for one last time before bed and then he poops out. Slimy peas and sweet potatoes for dinner, bath time, combined with Mike and I tag teaming to hopefully get a little exercise in.

7:00 PM - Bedtime (there is an hour window around this one). STARVING...dinner finally for Mike and I.

8:00 PM - Ahhh, rest....with an occasional encore appearance from Mr. Marshall.

9:30 PM - Bedtime. Thank God for the opportunity to do it all again tomorrow!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Sounds a lot like my day...just less nap time :) Look forward to chatting with ya during play dates soon.

Anonymous said...

You got to love it!! Exhaustion but a happy baby....a time you will never regret.

Naomi said...

Marshall got a grin on his face that looks like he's up to no good in that top picture.... uh oh... :)