It's no secret that my little boy has always been a little apprehensive about leaving his mom and dad. It took nearly two full years for him to pull through an hour in the church nursery without tears and heart-wrenching drama. Granted, my boy has spent nearly every day of his life at home with me...or his dad....or one of his beloved grandparents. He's got it good around here. I'm not sure it would be a place I'd want to leave either.
The last six months he's become such a young boy. A boy who wants to explore and learn and tell you (in great detail) what's going on in his little head. When most of his buddies were signing up for preschool early this year, I hesitated. He seemed so young and still so baby-like to me. Yes, I was exhausted at the end of our days...and yes, I would have LOVED a few mornings a week to myself. But I knew in my heart he wasn't ready. I wasn't ready either. He's got a good 20 years of school ahead of him, why rush it?
One of the greatest lessons I've learned in parenting is to let my kiddo take the lead when it comes to big changes. It's a hard rule to follow at times, especially when you feel what you are doing is different from everyone else. But I've learned that things work out better for us when we wait for our own right time...whether that be behind, ahead, or right on track with what we expect.
2 comments:
I so agree with all of this! Our little guys (& girls) are all made different and ready for different things at different times. Definitely something you learn with siblings too!
You are a great mom!
Post a Comment