Friday, December 3, 2010

The Best Moment in Motherhood


I've been thinking about a moment from last week over and over again in my head.  It dawned on me last night that I better write this down in the event that my memory fails me somewhere down the road.  I can say with confidence that this one, sweet minute, is one that I NEVER want to forget.  It is quite honestly the best moment I've ever had as a mom.

It was a few days before Thanksgiving and I was driving down the road with Marshall in the back seat.  We were listening to Christmas tunes in the car after leaving my mom's house.  Then, out of the blue, with no prompting whatsoever, and for the very first time, that little boy voice called out to me:  "I wuv you, mommy.  Hold your hand?" 

I know I nearly swerved off the road as I reached back as fast as I could to grab his little hand. 

I remember wondering what it would be like when my tiny newborn could finally tell me he loves me. It was hard to imagine what that little voice would sound like.  But whew! It sounded so sweet that it knocked the breath out of me and reminded me how very blessed I am to have him as my son. 

3 comments:

Drena said...

Great story and great photo to match!

Carrie Beth said...

AWW!!!! So very sweet. :-)

Marylu said...

That makes all those long, difficult days worth it! I'm glad you are home enjoying such special moments! You are just beginning to reap the rewards.
Marylu Odom