Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just the Highlights

I am continually impressed with the blogs I follow.  Many of them are those of moms who work, craft, sew, volunteer, on and on, etc, etc.   They also manage to keep their blogs updated with fabulous pictures and eloquently written thoughts they have about watching their kids grow up on a day to day basis.  It boggles my mind to try to figure out how they keep up with it all so well.

I love blogging because it lets you capture a piece of time, share it with those you love...and if technology serves us well...we will have it forever.  Several times as day I "start a post" in my head.  I think, "Oh, oh, this moment, right here, is one I want to remember forever".  I think of the perfect title and the opening sentences.   Sad thing is I never actually hit the Publish button.  At the same time that I am blogging in my head, I am also making the mental list of all the things I need and want to do during Marshall's 1.5 hour nap.  I keep wondering if all kids are like M?  He on the move 100% of the day.  He doesn't slow down and doesn't sit and watch TV alone.  He's pretty good at entertaining himself...but right now that requires me constantly watching to make sure he isn't killing my coffee table with his toy screwdriver or the eyelash curler he stole out of my makeup bag.  And sit at the computer while he plays?  No way, jose!  Definitely not an option.   When the time comes, and M is in bed, and all is quiet in our house, kitchen cleaned, all I really want to do is talk to my husband and turn my brain off.   I am drained...filled with love and admiration for our little guy...but happy to have an hour or two sit on the couch and listen to him sleep through the monitor.   

Hence, I feel like I only capture the highlights from our house these days on the blog.  With little or no additional commentary on the ups and downs of life with our spirited little dog.    With any luck, the highlights and the unfinished posts in my memory will stick with me....

Some of my favorite highlight pix from recent weeks and days:

We took a trip to NC to visit our dear friends Erin, Zeb, and their new baby girl, Morgan this weekend.  Michael got a good adrenaline fix after riding along with Zeb on patrol one night. I got to catch up with my best friend, Erin.  And M came home with two new best buddies...Charlie Dog and Mr. Zeb.  A fabulous trip and a sad one to see end. 




Favorite hobby these days...helping dad in the yard!

Giving kisses!

Hanging with buddies at the fountains in Suwanee...


5 comments:

Drena said...

You are doing a great job! Most important is that you are there living those memories with him even if they don't always make it to the blog. :)

Plus it's important that you take the time to connect with Mike at night. That way you can make more crazy little monsters someday!

Carrie Beth said...

The only reason I'm able to get to my blog so frequently is because my husband works so late or is usually out of town! I love reading what you all have been up to and that fountain park in Suwanee looks like so much fun!

Justin and Kristin said...

I love the picture of him giving his daddy a kiss! So precious! Keep up the good work!

Naomi said...

I feel the same way. I constantly have drafts going... that end up going nowhere. And don't even have a good excuse like Marshall.

But it's better to be present in our lives than spend our time writing about them! (Although I do look forward to every one of your new posts.)

The Lanier Family said...

MommaKirch, I knew you were feeling the pressure this week (I believe you might have told me you weren't in an email but that is news for another day). Enjoy that little boy...period...end of story...mine is going into 5th grade...and I don't know where the time went so just enjoy that little boy if you don't blog...you don't blog. XOXOXOXO