Monday, March 22, 2010

R & R

While we haven't taken any fabulous adult-only vacations since Marshall has been born, Michael and I have managed to pinpoint one get-away that always helps us rejuvinate. For the second time in three months, we ventured to Athens for a laid-back, overnight stay. It's only an hour away and we know the place like the back of our hands...there are good restaurants, cheap prices (I mean cheap!) and lingering memories of our dating days...all which make for a perfect and easy retreat.
We dropped the little man off at his Grammy and Granddaddy's place on Friday afternoon, then headed up 85. Made a quick stop to refuel at Jittery Joes and checked into the Holiday Inn. The weather was awesome. We contemplated crashing what looked like a hoppin' new hangout for the college kids where Achim's K-Bobs use to be...nothing like a pitcher of Natty Light and some beer pong. We opted for a nice walk on North Campus instead.

Later, we went back to the new, cozy bar we found during our last visit and where old folks like us hang out in Athens, GA ...Blue Sky (same owners as the old Blue Sky coffee for those old school UGA folks). For the sake of the blog, here we are trying to act like it was normal to take pictures of each other while enjoying our brews. :) Oh, we are both growing our hair out, if you are wondering. I'm still trying to convince Mike to sport his earrings again, at least on the weekends.

The rest of our evening included a few stops at a couple other favorite establishments before retiring in the quiet hotel room (minus child monitor...yehaw). The next morning we rose early to meet our friends at the annual Dawg Trot 5K. Even though I ran the race last year and knew what the course looked like, I couldn't help but wonder whose bright idea it was to put a rediculous hill at the end of the race (especially for those who went down memory lane the night before at the local bars). I did shave 2.5 minutes off my time from last year, although it's a far cry from anything to brag about. Big thanks to MIchael for jogging by my side the whole way!

We appropriatly made up for any calories we burned during the race at the Mayflower before heading home. All in all, a great trip!

3 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

Holy Moly - looking at that picture of Mike - I thought you went to dinner with Barry!

Glad you had a good race and a great night off!

Drena said...

Good for you guys! I too love to go to Athens. It gives me butterflies most every time!

Naomi said...

Sounds like a fun little get-a-way. Congrats on the race improvement!