Thursday, March 4, 2010

Eat his bubbles!

A few weeks ago I called to sign Marshall up for toddler swimming lessons at the local swim club. It felt funny thinking about how I going to pay someone else to teach my kid to do what I spent the majority of my childhood and early adult life doing. I wondered if it would be worth it. Plus, there was a small part inside of me that felt like a trader for choosing to take him to the "rival swim club". Guess I was successfully brainwashed by the green and gold.

Anyway, we went for our first session this morning. The stuffy, chlorine-filled air felt all too familiar. I looked over at the record board posted on the side of the 25 yd pool - didn't even recognize one stinkin' name . Guess I'm pretty far removed from this new generation...a much faster one!

I changed M into his swimming diaper, plastic protector, and bathing suit (all requirements before he could get into the baby pool...and a lot of work for mom). And since it was a parent/child class I put on the closest thing I had to one of my old speedo suits. I honestly thought I had a few more months before I would have to put a bathing suit on...ugh. Once we got started, I couldn't wipe the grin off of Little Dog's face. He kicked and attempted to blow bubbles, jumped off the side, even did a nice back float! He listened closely to the instructor who amazingly kept his attention the whole time (I figured that in itself was worth the cost of the class). I was so proud. He definitely led the class with his natural ability. :)

We are looking forward to four more weeks of class. Fingers crossed that his love for the water sticks! Stay tuned...

4 comments:

Lauren said...

How fun! Let me know how you like it :)

Naomi said...

He's got some good swimming genes!

Carrie Beth said...

Glad he loves it!

Louie said...

Can we peg him as a favorite to make the 2032 Olympic team? What are we talking here, 400 IM? 100 Breast? For his sake I hope he's sprinter! Move over Mr. Phelps.