Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Budget Conscious

Michael and I have been fortunate in the fact that we have not had to worry too much about finances since we got married....and, hence, have become a little more relaxed in our spending over the last few years. Since the dawning of a new era is upon us, we've attempted to turn over a "new leaf" in budget conscious decision-making.

We are now looking at life through a slightly different lense and striving to to make small changes now that will help us have an easier time when it comes to financially supporting a family in the coming years (it's a little scary when you realize day-care can cost as much as another mortgage payment!). Mom calls this kind of shift in thinking "going on restriction" but I like to call it simply becoming more budget conscious.

A few of the changes we have made that I am most proud of so far:

Vehicles - Most of you know I sold my Lexus and got a very cool Suburu Forester a few months ago. I absolutely love it. It's roomy, fuel-efficient (24 mpg city), safe, practical, and much better suited for my driving style with extra rubber in all the right places. It's a real stress reliever knowing that I don't have to buy fancy tires, expect expensive repairs, or buy premium fuel anymore.

Eating out - We've cut back on this dramatically...and boy, does it make a difference! Seriously...we can make food that looks better, taste better, and costs a fraction of the price compared to would pay at a restaurant on Friday night...AND, Mike can have 6 Bud Light Limes for the price of one fancy beer at Taco Mac (so-long to the Passport Club!).

Entertainment - Forget movies and concerts and happy hours at the bar...we've got Netflix, free events at Suwanee town center, our yearly pass to Stone Mountain Park, and hanging out at the pool with our own cooler of cocktails and snacks!

Groceries - You can buy an entire half gallon of yogurt for $2.50 instead of buying ten little yogurts at a dollar a pop! Store brands aren't really that bad, home-made pizza is always better, and paying attention to the little coupons you get at check-out sometimes pays off big time! Oh, and you can shuck your own corn and buy a cob for $0.50 instead of buying the prepacked fresh corn for $4.00/per four. I'll admit, I still buy pre-boiled eggs at 175% of the cost of eggs you boil on your own...that's a luxury I'm not willing to give up.

That's all for now...stay tuned for budget conscious tips from the Dawsons!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, getting on a budget!It's amazing the amount that can be saved when you really make a conscious effort to do so!

Drena said...

I think if we could cut back on eating out we would save bundles, but I love eating out so much!! I think we will eat out less when the baby comes anyway so I'm trying to enjoy our last few dinners out just the 2 of us for about 18 years. :)