Friday, December 9, 2011

Summer's Baptism

A very special event occurred last weekend.  Our sweet Summer Grace was baptized in front of 500 people, including all of our family and my best girls, Carrie and Charlotte.   We vowed to surround her with steadfast love and guide her so that she may grow in faith all the days of her life.  It was such a sweet and special day for us. 

She wore a beautiful dress that I wore at my baptism 32 years ago...and that my aunt wore before me.  The whole gorgeous ensemble included a dress, slip, stockings, booties, and a bonnet.  Of course, baby sister is not used to anything but comfy Carter's cotton dresses so she was a bit irritated when I first dressed her in all the frills.  Marshall assured her, "Baby Sister, you need to keep your dress on!  You are going to get bab-a-tized and there are going to be french horns and tubas there!". 


I actually had to take the entire outfit off of her until we got to church.  I put it back on 10 minutes before showtime...everything but the bonnet.  I decided I would rather have a sweet baby without a bonnet than a crying baby with an heirloom bonnet on. 

It was an honor to have Summer baptized by the same pastor who baptized Marshall.  I'm a sappy kind of girl...and of course I was getting all emotoinal during the baptism.  I was even asked, "are you ok?" by the pastor....yes, yes, I am ok...this is just what I do.  It just meant so much to us. 

Barry and Arlene hosted a beautiful lunch after the service (where we took a bunch of pictures and then I promptly changed Miss Summer into something more comfortable!).



2 comments:

Clh03uga said...

WOW...the picture of her in her carseat she looks JUST like Marshall. :) Sweet pictures!

BARB said...

Didn't realize my baptism dress was
still around ! Seems like Summer takes after Aunt Barb in the itchy department, lace and frills are still problematic !!! Can't wait to meet her soon.